The ICPI Approved Installation Process
Ocean Pavers strictly adhere to the installation standards put in place by the Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute (ICPI). This pavement structure is commonly used for both pedestrian and vehicular applications. Pedestrian areas, driveways, and areas subject to limited vehicular use are paved with units 2 3/8 in. (60 mm) thick. Streets and industrial pavements should be paved with units at least 3 1/8 in. (80 mm) thick.
ICPI Specification Sheets & Cross Sections:
ICPI Installation Steps
- Demo and Excavate 6”- 9” of existing surface. Remove all debris and haul away to a qualified recycle center.
- Compact Native Soil to ensure a firm base
- Installation of Geo-Textile Fabric Barrier (see your contract)
- Install 3”- 4” of Class II Road Base for Pedestrian areas or 4”- 6” for vehicular areas
- Check and address all drainage and slope to 1% to 2% – water must move away from any structures toward drains
- Compact Base up to 98% compaction ratio
- Install 1” of Sharp Angled Bedding Sand.
- Install desired Pavers and layout Pavers – 60 mm or 80 mm pavers commercial grade pavers only
- Compact Pavers with a vibrating plate compactor
- Install Polymeric Joint Sand and/or sharped angled joint sand depending on the paver you choose – very important
- Use a Plate compactor to compact the sand down into the paver joints
- Hose off Wash down and Clean Pavers
- Apply BP Pro Enhancing Paver Sealer – Optional